A Bellevue University Guide
What is DemographicsNow?
DemographicsNow is a comprehensive easy-to-use tool that provides demographic data for any location in the United States, including the U.S. as a whole, or any state, county, metro area, school district, zip code, right down to a specific neighborhood. Demographic data includes income, housing, race, age, education, consumer expenditures and more, and is from the 2010 U.S.Census Bureau and MOSAIC USA consumer lifestyle segmentation data.
How to access:
Mouse over Find on the library homepage.then click on Databases. Now click on the letter D under "Browse by title" then on DemographicsNow. If off campus, you will be prompted for your BRUIN Connect login. Once you are logged into one database, you are logged into all of them, until you close your browser.
When to use:
This resource can be a valuable tool for determining where to locate or how to market a business. It is also a great tool for the sociologist, by providing a sampling of the population.
- Click on Demographics at the top of the page.
- Select a geographic area using the Options drop-down menu in the top right portion of the page.
- By default, it is set for the entire U.S.; change by selecting one of these options:
- Create Location(s). Enter an address, coordinates, or click on a location on the Map. You may select up to 16 locations.
- Geography List. Select one of the types listed; it will then expand to more specific locations. It may expand several times, allowing you to drill down to the location you need.
- Select report type by clicking on Reports at the top of the page or on Demographics in the Demographics box in the main area of the page. Select one of these types of reports:
- Comparison Report. Displays data for multiple geographies in columns, so you can easily see how geographies compare to one another. You may include up to 16 geographies in a single report.
- Summary Report. Delivers demographic information on a single geographic area or on a group of geographic areas summarized into a single value.
- Rank Report. Sorts geographies based on a single demographic variable, from high to low. Select from the list in the drop-down menu under Report Name.
- After all selections are made, click on Run Report.
- The Download button at the top of the report allows you to choose a format and save your report.
- Click on Maps at the top of the page or in the Maps box in the main area of the page.
- If you have selected one or more areas, they will be outlined on a map.
- If you have not yet selected an area, Use the Options menu as described above.
- You may then use the Mapping Tools, in the top right area of the map, to customize your map.
- Thematic Controls allow you to apply variables and color-coding..
- Geometry Tools allow you to apply custom outlines within the selected areas.
- Export, Download Geography, Upload Geography provides various options for saving, printing, and emailing your map. YOu may also provide a title for your map here.
- Click on Reports at the top of the page or in the Reports box in the main area of the page.
- Select a Report Type: 2010 Census Report, Batch Report, or Sizing Your Market.
- A box with different options will be displayed, depending on the type of report you select. Choose one and click on Run Report
Click on this to view one of several short video tutorials that demonstrate how to use DemographicsNow.