D&B Hoovers Business Browser
(Formerly OneSource Business)
A Bellevue University library Guide
What is D&B Hoovers Business Browser?
D&B Hoovers Business Browser (formerly OneSource Business) provides comprehensive company and industry information, as well as information about company executives. About 18 million companies, including international companies, are profiled, as well as 25 million company executives.
How to access D&B Hoovers Business Browser
Mouse over Find on the library homepage then click on Databases. Now click on the letter D under "Browse by title" then on D&B Hoovers Business Browser. If off campus, you will be prompted for your BRUIN Connect login. Once you are logged into one database, you are logged into all of them until you close your browser.
Consists of a navigation bar with search box above a set of search tiles.
- The navigation bar at the top of the page,is available on all pages and includes a search box with a drop down menu of search fields.
By default, "Companies" is the pre-selected field. Other fields include Contacts, News, Research & Reports, SEC Filings, Triggers, Industries, and Conceptual Search.
- The search tiles on the desktop are Companies, News, Contacts, Industries, Triggers, and Analysis.
Click a tile to navigate to the respective Search & Build a List interface.
Search for a Company in the Navigation Bar
Enter the name of the company in the search bo; using the official name of the company works best. Your search may take you directly to the company information page or you may see a list of companies with similar names; click on the one you need. The company information includes:
A one page Company Summary. Besides a brief description of the company, it includes information on its executives, recent significant developments, recent news articles, and brief financial and stock information.
A menu in the left column organized into three categories; the information in the categories may vary by type of company:
Core. Besides the company summary, this category includes a more detailed company description and company history, the corporate family, contacts, products and operations, a SWOT analysis, and recent news stories.
Advanced. This section includes information on competitors, closest industry facts, new developments, recent analysts' reports, annual reports, SEC filings, and technologies in use
Financials. Financial reports are provided by Morningstar. The Financial Health Report shows growth over a five year period. In addition, there are ratio comparisons and reports according to business segments. Finally, there are income statements, balance sheets, and cash flows, all covering a 10 year period
Build a Company List
- Click on the Build a Company List tile and fill in the criteria you want to use, such as location, company size, industry, company type, financials, and more. Click on View Results to see a list of companies that meet that criteria.
- Results can be sorted in a number of ways by using the drop down menu in the bar above the results list.
- Click on Map in the right part of the bar above the search results to see the companies locations on a map.
- To edit your original criteria, click on Edit under Search Criteria, to make changes to your criteria or to add criteria.
- Click on the Browse News tile and fill in whatever information is relevant to your search in the form.
- You may start with a simple Keyword search, using Boolean connectors (AND, OR, NOT) if desired.
- The News area of the form can search more specifically, within the text of an article, in the headlines, within a particular date range, by publication name. Additionally, you may choose from the drop down list of topics, designate the length of the article, and even the byline.
- Search Results can be sorted or focused using the filters to the left of the results.
- You may use the search box under Industries to search for industry information by name or code, designating D&B Industries or a number of other classifications.
There are two options to start your search on this page:
- Keyword Search, Type in one or more keywords related to the industry you need. Click on "View Results" in the bottom right area of the page.
- When the results come up, you can, narrow them down by adding additional search terms in the box to the left.
- Industry Here you can search for an industry by name, code, or classification system.
- By default, it is set to the D&B Industries, but you may click on "Change" to choose another classification, such as NAICS 2012 and several others.
- Now enter in the industry name or code, or use the Browse feature to select from a list.of major industries. These may be expanded to more specific sub-industries.
- Click on "View Results."
- Click on desired result for the full report. Be sure to see the options on the left for more information, such as Analysts' Reports, Peer Analysis, and Industry activities.
- Locate contact information for company executives and Board of Directors by clicking on the Contacts tile and filling in relevant information.
- You may also BUILD a List of executives.
D&B defines a trigger as " one single event in time that creates a business opportunity or a reason to reach out to a company. D&B derives trigger events from news articles, press releases, SEC and UK Companies House filings, data changes, and more."
- Click on the Explore Triggers tile and fill in search boxes and choose options from dropdown menus for date and trigger type.
- You can also search for industry triggers.
- When doing a keyword search, type in one or more keywords, using the Boolean connectors (AND, OR, NOT) to connect two or more keywords or phrases. Enclose search phrases of two words or more in quotation marks
- The Desktop tab is visible on every page, allowing you to easily return to that screen.
- Most searches can be initiated from either the drop down menu in the navigation bar at the top of the page, or by clicking on the tile on the main area of the page.
- Most searches allow you to build a list based on criteria and results selected
- One Stop Reports. This is an option on many reports. Click on it, and choose the criteria you want in your report. It will be created as a PDF which you may download or print.
- Pinning items to the Desktop.
Look for the pin icon and click on it to pin important or frequently used items to the Desktop for quick access. Drag tiles around to organize your desktop.
Printing and exporting
Click on the print icon in the top right area of the page above reports and news articles for a printable view.
Some reports can be saved as a PDF. Look for this icon to download.
Financial reports that can be exported to Excel have an Export button at the top of the page.
Support. The online User Guide will walk you through all the features in D&B Business Browser. Click on Support in the top right area of the page, then on Support Portal. Mouse over User Guide in the bar at the top of the page and select either the entire guide (PDF) or just the section you want to see.