Document Title: Lost & Found Procedure
Applies to: All Library Patrons
To provide a specific process for identifying and storing items found on Library premises.
Items are deemed “lost” if:
- Turned in at the Circulation or Reference Desks by patrons
- Unattended and found by Library staff
Considerations and Criteria:
- Items left unattended in study rooms will be removed if another patron has requested the use of the room, and the study room has not been in use 15 minutes or more (as signaled by the light shutting off automatically). More details on this can be found in the Classroom 460/Study Room Procedures.
- Perishables or other food items will be disposed of at closing time, with the container emptied and stored in the Lost & Found box of the Reference Desk cabinets.
- Items of high value, such as wallets, laptops, or pieces of jewelry are held in a designated secure area while the owner is contacted and the “Lost Item” form is filled out by two employees. If the owner cannot be identified, or the items cannot be picked up within 24 hours, Campus Security will be contacted to pick up and store the items, unless other arrangements have been made by the owner. Note: It is up to the Library Staff’s discretion what qualifies as “high value” items. Campus Security will hold items up to 30 days before disposing of them.
- The Lost & Found box is kept at the Reference Desk by the “Holds” shelf, and will be emptied periodically. The contents will be turned over to Campus Security on a regular basis for storage.
- The Bellevue University Library will not be held responsible for items left unattended.
Supporting Documentation: Classroom 460/Study Room Procedures
Keywords: lost & found, lost, found, library, Campus Security
Responsible Office: Library
Contact Information: Library, 402-557-7314
Approved by: Robin Bernstein
Senior Director, Library Services
Effective Date: June 18, 2018
Review Cycle and Dates: This procedure document supersedes previous versions dated March 23, 2018 and May 6, 2014.
Robin Bernstein, Sr. Director, Library Services June 21, 2018