Document Title: SimpleScan Procedure
Applies to: All Library Patrons
To offer a quick, free, and easy-to-use system to create high-quality digital copies of physical documents and photos, and to provide users of the SimpleScan station with clear guidelines of use. These digital files can be saved to a patron’s flash drive, Google Drive, or can be sent to their smart-phone or email.
Considerations and Criteria:
- Usage of the SimpleScan station at the Bellevue University Library should be consistent with the educational, research and service missions of the University.
Authorized users include:
- Bellevue University Faculty, Staff, and currently registered students
- Bellevue University Alumni
- Bellevue University Community Users
- Reciprocal Borrowers
- The general public
- The SimpleScan station is available on a first come-first served basis, though patrons will limit their time with the station to no longer than fifteen minutes. They may continue their use of the station for another fifteen minutes after checking with Library staff to ensure no one else is waiting to use it.
- If basic operational assistance is required, it will be available at the Circulation and Reference Desk.
- No more than 25 items or pages should be scanned in a single session, otherwise the time spent processing this amount of material may prevent other patrons from being able to use the station in a timely fashion.
- If Library staff suspect an individual patron of monopolizing time with the SimpleScan station, they reserve the right to ask the patron to quickly conclude their work or find a stopping point in order to allow others an opportunity to use the station.
- The SimpleScan station is not a print station or a photocopier, and cannot be used for making hard copies of documents.
- Scans made need to be in compliance with U.S. Copyright Law. For more information, visit the Bellevue University Library Copyright Center: http://libguides.bellevue.edu/copyright
- Once a session on the SimpleScan station has ended, the digital scans of items that patrons have made cannot be retrieved, as they are deleted immediately.
- The Library is not responsible for ensuring the privacy of scanned personal information.
- Patrons have sole responsibility to ensure that they have the available storage capacity for any scans they create. Library staff cannot offer patrons temporary storage solutions if patrons have exceeded their available storage capabilities.
- Items left unattended for 15 minutes or longer at the scan station will be removed and placed in the lost and found at the Reference Desk. The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Patrons suspected of tampering with the SimpleScan station or any of its components with the intent of damaging, obstructing, or modifying the operation or settings of the scan station may be subject to disciplinary action governed by, but not limited to, the applicable provisions of the student handbook, faculty and staff handbook, policies of Bellevue University, and local, state, and federal law, in addition to having their access privileges to the Bellevue University Library revoked.
Keywords: SimpleScan, scan, storage, library
Responsible Office: Library
Contact Information: Library, 402-557-7314
Approved by: Robin Bernstein
Senior Director, Library Services
Effective Date: June 18, 2018
Review Cycle and Dates: This procedure document supersedes previous versions dated March 26, 2018 and March 26, 2014.
Robin Bernstein, Sr. Director, Library Services June 21, 2018