Telephone/Cell Phone Policy
To provide an environment that is conducive to study as well as being welcoming to all. Therefore, telephone and cell phone guidelines have been developed to help maintain a quiet environment in the library.
Considerations for Circulation and Reference Desk Phones:
To ensure the library provides excellent telephone customer service. The Circulation Desk / Reference Desk telephones are for library staff use. Phone calls made or received on this telephone should be of a business nature concerning the library and/or patrons.
Process for Answering and Directing Telephone Calls:
1. The phone should be answered promptly, ideally by the third ring. Identify yourself, ask how you can be of service, and give the caller your full attention.
2. If you are busy with another patron, ask permission to place the caller on hold. If unable to meet the caller's request within two minutes, offer to call back.
3. Incoming calls for staff members should be transferred promptly to their respective offices. Give the caller the name and number of the person you are transferring in case the caller is disconnected. If the staff member is not available, ask the caller if he/she would like to leave a message on the staff member’s voicemail.
4. If a patron becomes irate, do not let the caller's anger control your attitude! Listen, acknowledge the situation, offer concern (do not take the comments personally), and try to assist them with what they need. Refer the call to your supervisor if necessary.
5. For situations involving obscene phone calls, just hang up.
6. For threatening phone calls, refer to the “Threatening Call Checklist” in the Guide to Emergency Preparedness Manual located on the west side of the circulation desk in the bottom drawer.
Refreshment Area Telephone Usage:
The telephone in the refreshment area can only be used for local telephone calls. The use of this telephone is free and is provided as a courtesy for our patrons. Users are asked to adhere to the following:
1. Calls should be limited to five minutes.
2. This telephone should not be used for multiple calls.
3. Conversations should be kept at low levels out of respect for others.
4. Incoming calls are not permitted.
Cell Phone Usage:
The cell phone policy reflects the Bellevue University policy.
1. All cellular phones must be turned off or switched to silent mode while in the library.
2. Anyone receiving a call must immediately put the call on hold and move to the main lobby entrance or the hallway outside the security gates.
3. If making a call, patrons must move to the main lobby entrance or the hallway outside the security gates before initiating the call.
4. When using your cell phone in the lobby or hallway, voices should be kept low as the sound carries into the library. Patrons should take their valuable belongings with them when they leave the area to take or receive a call as the library cannot be held responsible.
5. If a patron refuses to comply with the telephone/cell phone policy the library staff can call security to resolve the issue. If a student reports inappropriate phone use by another student, talk to the offending student about the policy.
Entryway phones are for Emergency use only.
Effective September 30, 1996
Revised March 31, 2004
Revised October 2, 2013
Reviewed August 5, 2016