Document Title: Lost Library Material Procedure
Applies to: All Students, Faculty, Staff, and other Library Patrons
To ensure the circulating collection remains current and accurate, the Library must take appropriate actions to recover the material loaned, or seek financial restitution.
Lost library material charges are assessed when a borrower:
- Declares library material is lost.
- Has library material overdue for more than 5 weeks.
- Has damaged material beyond repair.
Billing Process for Lost Library Material:
- Patrons are billed for the replacement cost of the lost material, plus a processing fee for each item. When materials are reported lost, fines will cease to accrue from that date.
Materials are billed as follows:
Titles in Print:
- Books - Charged the cost of replacement, plus a $15.00 processing fee.
- Audio Visual – Charged the cost of replacement, plus a $15.00 processing fee.
- Books – charged $35.00, plus a $15.00 processing fee.
- Audio Visual – charged $15.00, plus a $15.00 processing fee.
- Charged the cost of restoration or replacement, plus a $15.00 processing fee
- A borrower has the option of giving the library a new, exact replacement copy of the lost material in lieu of paying the lost material charges, at the discretion of the Technical Services Librarian; however, a $15.00 processing fee will still be assessed.
- Patrons are entitled to the damaged material once it is paid for; however, damaged material will only be kept by the Library for one week before being discarded. Following health and safety regulations the item will be discarded for unknown stains, mold, excessive water damage, and any other health concerns.
- Refunds for items returned, after the patron has paid for them are subject to limitations.
- Patrons who return material in good condition within six months of payment will receive a refund of the cost of the material. The processing fee will not be refunded.
- Patrons who return material in good condition within one year of payment will receive a refund of half the cost of the material. The processing fee will not be refunded.
- Patrons who return material after one year from the time of payment will not receive a refund and they may keep the item.
- Unpaid bills will be turned over to the Student Accounts Office (with the exception of Community Users and Reciprocal Borrowers, whom will be billed by the Library) one week after the final overdue notice has been sent. Please see the Patron Account Billing Procedure for billing details.
- Any borrower who considers he/she has been penalized unjustly may appeal in writing within 90 days of the billing date for lost library material to the Senior Director, Library Services.
Exceptions to the above can only be approved by the Senior Director, Library Services. Any questions not covered in this procedure should be brought to the attention of the Senior Director, Library Services.
Supporting Documentation: Patron Account Billing Procedure
Keywords: lost library material, damaged, library, refund, overdue
Responsible Office: Library
Contact Information: Library, 402-557-7314
Approved by: Robin Bernstein
Senior Director, Library Services
Effective Date: June 18, 2018
Review Cycle and Dates: This procedure document supersedes previous versions dated March 23, 2018 and June 11, 1997.
Robin Bernstein, Sr. Director, Library Services June 18, 2018