Lost Library Material Policy
To ensure the circulating collection remains current and accurate, the Library must take appropriate actions to recover the material loaned, or seek financial restitution.
Lost library material charges are assessed when a borrower:
1. Declares library material is lost.
2. Has library material overdue for more than 5 weeks.
3. Has damaged material beyond repair.
Billing Process for Lost Library Material:
1. Patrons are billed for the replacement cost of the lost material, plus a processing fee for each item. When materials are reported lost, fines will cease to accrue from that date.
Materials are billed as follows:
Titles in Print
2. A borrower has the option of giving the library a new, exact replacement copy of the lost material in lieu of paying the lost material charges; however, a $15.00 processing fee will still be assessed.
3. Patrons are entitled to the damaged material once it is paid for; however damaged material will only be kept by the Library for two weeks before being discarded.
4. All Damaged items that have been returned to the Library will be kept for one week then discarded. Following health and safety regulations the item will be discarded for unknown stains, mold, excessive water damage, and any other health concerns.
4. Refunds for items returned, after the patron has paid for them are subject to limitations.
a. Patrons who return material in good condition within six months of payment will receive a refund of the cost of the material. The processing fee will not be refunded.
b. Patrons who return material in good condition within one year of payment will receive a refund of half the cost of the material. The processing fee will not be refunded.
c. Patrons who return material after one year from the time of payment will not receive a refund and they may keep the item.
d. Refunds for Kindles – please see Lost Kindle Policy in the policy binder.
5. Unpaid bills will be turned over to the Student Accounts Office one week after the final overdue notice has been sent.
6. Any borrower who considers he/she has been penalized unjustly may appeal in writing within 90 days of the billing date for lost library material to the Senior Director, Library Services.
Exceptions to the above can only be approved by the ILL/Circulation Supervisor or Senior Director, Library Services. Any questions not covered in this policy should be brought to the attention of the Senior Director, Library Services.
Effective Date: June 11, 1997
Revised Date: July 16, 1999
Revised Date: December 5, 2007
Revised Date: February 19, 2014
Revised Date: August 5, 2016