Document Title: Temporary Release of Library Holds for Student Registration
Supports Policy Number: PS 2301, Library Holds
Applies to: All Students, Faculty, Staff, and other Library Patrons
To temporarily release a library hold on BRUIN allowing a student to register for class.
Criteria for placing a hold on BRUIN:
Holds are placed on BRUIN when a borrower:
- Declares material is lost but does not replace or pay for the material.
- Has overdue material for more than 5 weeks.
- Has damaged or mutilated material beyond repair.
- Owes fines of $10.00 or more.
Process Prior to Releasing a Hold on BRUIN:
- Check student library account to ensure the hold is still valid.
- Contact students’ Academic Advisor to confirm that the student is actively involved in the registration process enabling them to return to Bellevue University.
- Prepare documentation and present it to the Senior Director, Library Services.
- Exceptions will be evaluated and granted on a case-by-case basis by the Senior Director, Library Services.
Process to Release a Hold on BRUIN:
- All communication between the library and the student will be conducted through the students’ Academic Advisor for the duration of the transaction.
- The student will be required to sign a promissory note stating that they will meet their library obligation by an agreed upon date.
- Promissory Note location: I:\Departments\Circulation\Circdesk\Signs&Forms\CircDesk OR MISC\Promissory note.docx
- After the promissory note has been signed the hold on the students’ BRUIN account will be released for 24 hours, allowing time to register for class.
- After the student has registered for class the hold will be placed back onto their BRUIN account and the students’ business office account will be charged the amount owed.
- Extensions will not be granted once the agreed upon date has expired.
The signing of a promissory note is a one-time exception.
Supports Policy: PS 2301, Library Holds
Supporting Documentation: Promissory Note (see above for location)
Keywords: holds, Library, overdue, fine, promissory note
Responsible Office: Library
Contact Information: Library, 402-557-7314
Approved by: Robin Bernstein
Senior Director, Library Services
Effective Date: April 23, 2018
Review Cycle and Dates: This procedure document supersedes previous versions dated June 4, 2014 and July 25, 2011.
Robin Bernstein, Sr. Director, Library Services April 26, 2018