A Bellevue University Guide
What is Checkpoint:
Checkpoint, the Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting database is a full-text tax research tool for accounting and tax professionals and students. It was awarded the 2004 Codie award for excellence in content and functionality. This database provides the information and tools for tax research and preparation including tax laws and regulations, tax court decisions and commentary and tax periodicals.
When to Use:
1. To look up IRS tax code.
2. To look up IRS and Treasury Department regulations.
3. To look up Legislation and legislative history.
4. To look up tax court cases.
5. To look up letter rulings and revenue rulings.
6. To look up updates and new developments.
7. To look up IRS publications.
How to access Checkpoint:
Mouse over Find on the library homepage.then click on A-Z Database List . Now click on Checkpoint (AICPA, FASB, GAAP, GASB, IASB, and RIA). If off campus, you will be prompted for your BU login. Once you are logged into one database, you are logged into all of them, until you close your browser.
How to use:
- The homepage provides access to several screen views for different practice areas. By default, it opens to the Accounting & Auditing view. Other options include Corporate Finance, Estate & Retirement Planning, International Tax, Payroll, Pension Compensation & Benefits, Standard, and Tax. Use the drop down menu to select the one you need.
- My Quick Links appears on each screen view homepage and provides quick access to frequently used areas of Checkpoint.
- Today's Headlines links you to current news and product developments in the field.
- Use the quick search box at the top of the page to perform a keyword site search.
- Click on Search in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Select practice area from the menu, then enter keywords in the search box.
- Choose your sources from those listed and click on Search.
- You may also choose a template from the left menu to search by citation, search for legislation, or by date range.
- Various tables, indexes, and forms are also available from the left side of the page.
Table of Contents Screen
- Click on Table of Contents in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
- This screen provides access to all available sources, arranged in broad categories.
- Drill down through levels of content by clicking on the + sign next to each to reach individual documents.
- Click on the title of a document to display the text of the document.
- A table of contents specific to this document will be displayed to the left of the text of the document. Click on any item to navigate directly there.
- Click on News in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
- RIA Daily Updates are available here. Headlines, summaries, and opening paragraphs are provided. In some, click on the title to link to the full text, while others may have a document symbol that links you to the full text.
- The current days news is displayed, but you may choose a previous date, going back about 10 days, from the date menu to the left.
- Advance to any section of the newsletter by clicking on Outline in the navigation pane on the left.
- Checkpoint provides a number of tools which are also accessed from the navigation bar at the top of the page. There are General Calculators for about ten different categories offering several tpes of calculators for each..
- There are also FASB Codification tools as well as AFR Tables and IRS Valuation Tables.
Tips for using::
- On the Search screens, use the Thesaurus/Quesry Tool,l located right under the search box,to help select effective search terms.
- Print documents from a list by clicking on the print icon next to the title. Select up to 15 documents for a list by using the CTRL key
- Individual documents have print and email icons above them.
- For more information on using Checkpoint, click on Help in the navigation bar at the top of the page.